Warm Beet and Orzo Salad with Spinach
By March 12, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 27 mins
To serve: Arrange the salad between 4 bowls and serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Dash Kosher Salt
- 1 Dash Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 6 Medium Beets Roasted, Peeled, Cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 cup Orzo Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion Minced
- 4 cups Spinach Trimmed, Washed, Dried
- 1/2 cup Walnuts Toasted
- To prepare vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the mustard and vinegar.
- While whisking vigorously, drizzle the oil into the bowl in a steady stream until emulsified. Taste
and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the beets into a medium bowl and toss with vinaigrette until well coated. Leave to
marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- To cook orzo: Place a large saucepan of salted water on the stove over a medium-high heat
and bring to the boil. When the water is boiling, add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally to
prevent sticking, until al'dente, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to the boil with the beets.
- Place a large, nonstick skillet on the stove over a medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is
shimmering, add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook
until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Transfer mixture to the
bowl with beets and orzo. Add walnuts, taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Arrange the salad between 4 bowls and serve immediately.